By Alex Stedman –

Charlton and Hull City shared the points on Saturday afternoon, after a closely contested game finished all square. Another point was added to the Addicks impressive total so far, and fans can once again take a lot of positives from the performance.

Charlton started with the same eleven as their first two matches, and looked relatively solid and settled. Ben Hamer was undoubtedly the star of the show though, as he preserved the Addicks unbeaten record.

Hull started brightly, and the first few chances of the game fell to them. New signing Nick Proschwitz was foiled by Hamer, and then Sone Aluko saw his effort sail over the bar.  These were early warning signs for Charlton, who didn’t come out of the blocks as quickly as they had on Tuesday evening.

The hosts sprang into life shortly afterwards, with Johnnie Jackson heading into the arms of Manchester United youngster Ben Amos. At the other end, the towering presence of Leon Cort had to be alert to prevent a dangerous attack from the visitors.

Sone Aluko was beginning to cause the home defence problems with his quick turn of foot, just as Leicester winger Lloyd Dyer had in the previous game. Aluko burst into an opening in the Charlton back-line, and  lashed a fierce effort towards Hamer’s goal, but the reliable shot stopper dealt with it effectively.

Charlton then had their best chance of the game when Jackson whipped the ball in from the left looking for Kermogant, the big Frenchman connected with the ball sweetly, but his powerful volley was stopped by Amos. There was still time for one more Charlton chance before the half drew to a close, but Cort headed over after another inviting ball in by Jackson from a corner.

As half-time arrived, the skies became worryingly dark, and thunder and lightning ensued as the heavens opened on the Valley.

The first chance of the second period went to the Londoners, as Wright-Phillips was again denied by Amos. Kermogant put the ball in the net from the rebound – but the goal was disallowed for offside.
Wright-Phillips was deemed to be beyond the last defender in the build-up, and so the scores stayed level.

With twenty minutes to go Aluko caused problems again, his weaving run took him into the area, but his shot was blocked before McKenna saw his effort deflected wide as the hosts began to come under a wave of pressure.

Charlton were given brief respite up the other end of the pitch as Bradley Pritchard’s shot was blocked by Joe Dudgeon and the crowd appealed for handball. But the let up in Hull City’s attacking was short-lived, as the familiar face of Aluko saw yet another run set up former Arsenal striker Jay Simpson. The youngster could only watch in agony as his powerfully hit low drive flashed across Hamer’s goal.

Another City attack saw Simpson go close again, before Aluko missed another great opportunity – Hamer came to the rescue once more. Unbelievably, there was still time for Aluko to be left cursing his luck one last time as he failed to convert from a quick counter attack.

Charlton held on for another point, in what wasn’t the most memorable of matches. It is clear that the Addicks are a side built around team-work and togetherness, and a will to play and work for each other. If they can keep turning out performances like this fans can be sure of a positive outcome at the end of the season.

Fixtures & Results